Spiced Molasses Muffins with Flax and Oats — Recipes — Plantiful Coach
I wanted to experiment with using a generous amount of flaxseed in a muffin, and I also wanted to use up some blackstrap molasses that I found in the cupboard. I added some spices to complement the strong molasses flavour, some oats for fibre and dates as an extra treat, and ta-da! We have a breakfast muffin that packs a punch.
These spiced molasses muffins with flax and oats have a ton of fibre, a good amount of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium from the blackstrap molasses.
They’re perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast.
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 heaped Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp bicarb (baking soda)
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup soy milk (or another plant milk)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup dates (roughly chopped, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease a muffin tray.
- Mix the soy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl, and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, ground flaxseed, cocoa powder, bicarb, salt, spices and oats and mix well.
- Add the canola oil, blackstrap molasses and sugar to the curdled soy milk, and mix to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and mix until combined (don’t overmix).
- Stir in the chopped dates (optional).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffins tin, filling each cup ti about ¾ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before removing the muffins from the tin.